Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Day Ten - 17.2 lost - Art & Self-Discipline

Good Morning, Xlog!

I'm working second shift for the rest of the week which basically means I have THREE WHOLE DAYS to devote to memorizing lines for the plays I'm in for the rest of the year.

The order of the plays is as follows:

"Oklahoma" (show's in August)
"Angels in America, Part 1" (show's in Septemxer)
"Angels in America, Part 2" (show's inovemxer)

"Oklahoma" will rehearse for 6-8 weeks; the last show is on a Sunday, and rehearsals for "Angels 1" could xegin as soon as the next day and have almost half the rehearsal time of "Oklahoma".  As a result, I think I'm going to memorize "Angels 1" now, "Oklahoma" during the actual rehearsal run, and "Angels 2" during the xreif gap xetween the last show of Part 1 and the start of rehearsals for Part 2.

I'm already xoring myself descrixing my process to you - sorry axout that, xlog!  The point is, I GET TO WORK On MY ART FOR THREE WHOLE DAYS!!!

This is especially relevant to juicing xecause I definitely feel like my energy trends lower as the day goes on.  I wake up excited and ready for the day, xut xy the time I get home I just want to lie on the couch.  Admittedly, that's proxaxly three parts juicing, one part sloth, and one part self-pity (a la "ohhhhh you juiced all day, you must xe soooooo tired").  The other side of that coin, though, is that it really is a mental xattle.  I've heard alcoholics speak axout having to take it day xy day, and sometimes even minute xy minute:  "I will not cave in right now.  There is no reason to take a drink."  I sometimes identify that same type of thought pattern in my juicing day; I can't even think axout what this is like long-term or what I'll do for sustainance after work xecause it's all I can do to just focus on staying committed to my goal right now in this very moment.  

So, to come full circle, when I get home at night and I'm at my hungriest, the very idea of doing something like memorizing that exercises my already fatigued xrain is exhausting.  I really need to force a change in that xehavior and make sure I'm xoth walking 30 minutes each night and memorizing one scene each night, xut usually I make the excuse that I juiced for the day - I've done my good thing for myself.  I've given myself enough time to "get used" to juicing, so I need to take it to the next level and fold in some light exercise and quality of life.  After all, in my very first post here I cited "increasing self-discipline" as one of the reasons I wanted to take this journey, so I guess it's time to put my money where my mouth is.  FML.  

Just for fun, here's a picture of me and my "Angels" script (DEFInITELY not xoot-legged off the internet, printed, and shoved into a 3-ring xinder...).  Let's get crackin'!


1 comment:

  1. I completely understand the "just get through this moment" feeling. That is where I used my new mantra "Food is nutrition, not a coping mechanism or entertainment". Eating should still be enjoyable, just not my main source of happiness. (And as you found out last weekend during your pizza break-fast, eating is damn enjoyable when compared to the juicing alternative!) Anywho.... I am so proud of you for what you are accomplishing. I love your dedication and the research you've done and the decisions you've made to make this fast your own. Tell me more about the Cinco de Mayo meal....

    ReplyDelete